Friday, December 7, 2012

Be Thankful

November is a month to be thankful and to recognize the important people in your life that make it better. Emma is on the top of that list for me. She inspires me to be a better person every day, even when I struggle because of things like stress. During last month, I struggled at times with various things like many do. It is easy to get overwhelmed about some of the little things when your bills are three times the norm from one month to the next or you have more work to do than hours in a day. This is usually the busiest time of year for me and this year was more so than usual at work as I had taken on a different role with more responsibilities. In addition to those stressors, sometimes I deal with negative people that willingly cause harm to others with what they say/do and feel their actions are justified and even deserved. I've learned that when other people cause me stress, I have to accept that I can't change them. I can only change me and how I let their words/actions affect me. It is easier said than done, but I am getting better about it.

When I need a pick-me-up, I turn to my support system. Outside of my family, which is the foundation of that system, I have a small close group of friends in my circle. I keep it cozy for two reasons: 1) I only keep dependable, honest, and positive people close and 2) I am more comfortable that way. Everyone in my circle of friends is a person that I know I could call at any hour for any emergency and they would help me any way they could. Those friends are not easy to find so I hold them near and dear to my heart. They make my life better, and for that I'm eternally grateful.

Thanksgiving Day with our family - my little Marilyn Monroe enjoying the fan!

As for my dear, sweet Emma, she has been working hard and making great progress. She is handling her full dance card with grace and stubbornness. I know, an interesting combination. She has all of her therapies on Tuesdays now and has between 2 and 4 each week. Needless to say, she is usually pretty tired come bedtime on that night. But she works hard so she deserves all the snuggle time she wants!

Emma has been working diligently with her four therapists (even when she really didn't want to) and getting stronger every day. Her Occupational Therapist (OT) has been working with us on having Emma eat more textured foods and she is starting to come around on it most days. The Vision Impairment Therapist (VI) has been working to get Emma to be more willing to explore things tactfully that she sees which is a challenge because she is resistant to hold or even touch new things. Her Physical Therapist (PT) is working on helping Emma learn how to get in and out of a sitting position on her own safely as well as standing next to the couch ottoman. The Speech Therapist has been working on word association with Emma to increase her vocabulary. At twenty-two months old, Emma can currently say sixteen words and understands eighteen other words/phrases! With so many goals in so many different aspects of her life, I don't see how Emma keeps things straight in her life without the use of an iPhone like her mama. Guess it is a good thing she has an iPod - now we just have to get her using the calendar app. Scary to think about, but she is already a texting fiend so I'm sure it is only a matter of time!

2 comments:

  1. Love you, Megan. You are the most levelheaded, amazing and strong individual I know. You two deserve only the best... and may life contnue to proceed in that direction :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love you too! We are two very lucky ladies!!!

      Delete