Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Merry Christmas!

Christmas is probably my favorite time of year. I love the spirit of the season and all of the things that come along with it (even the ones that are rare in Texas like snow). I decorate my house with a tree or three (yes, three - the 7.5' one in the living room, the 4' one in Emma's room, and the little one in my room), a garland over the fireplace with stockings, snowflakes on windows, wreath, fire in the fireplace, and usually holiday cookies of some sort ready for Santa. Last year was Emma's first Christmas and I didn't put everything out as I normally would have because I was a little busy and she wasn't able to see at that point yet. This year, I wanted her to have the full experience because she can see. With a little help, I got everything decorated. I wasn't supposed to have her for Christmas this year as it was going to be her father's turn to have her. But to my excitement, he offered to bring her back on Christmas Eve so she could be with me and my family to celebrate! I don't need anything under the tree or in my stocking this year because I have the greatest gift of all - my daughter for Christmas!

Picture in the outfit I bought her to wear Christmas day.
Now that Emma is getting more curious about people, I wanted her to meet Santa for the first time. Lucky for us, he made a stop close by so we went up to say hello. I told him what a wonderful girl she has been and how she deserves anything he might have in his bag of presents. He assured me that she was on the "Nice List" and would be getting something very special this Christmas. When she sat in Santa's lap, she was very curious about who this new person was and why he had hair growing out of his chin. This new phenomena was perplexing to her and I could see her thinking about pulling the hair like she does with my hair, but she thought better of it. Didn't want to be taken off the "Nice List" so close to Christmas...

  
Hi Santa, I'm Emma. I have always been a very good girl. I know that cause my mommy tells me every day.
As for Christmas Day, we started our morning just the two of us talking about how Santa had come and enjoyed the cookies and milk we left out for him. Then we began opening the presents that she had under the tree and in her stocking. She needed help opening everything, so it was a team effort. Once unwrapped, there were bells to play music, crayons to color with, and so much more! Then we got dressed and ready for a fun filled day. Once we were ready, it was time to pack up the gifts in the car and head to my parents' house for breakfast and more Christmas time!

At my parents' house, there was a beautiful tree decorated with crystal and delicious food ready to eat. We enjoyed breakfast and had some family time before we got to the gifts. Emma was a very lucky girl this year as she got some wonderful clothes and toys from her grandparents. Her aunt, uncle, and cousin got her a cupcake piggy bank and some great toys as well. Once we were finished, it was time to go home and take a short break before we packed up and headed to my grandparents' farm to celebrate with the whole family.

During the break, it began to snow. Emma had never seen snow so I was excited her first Christmas that she could see would be a white one. We went out to see the snow and she was a bit unsure about it. She didn't like the wind so it was difficult to see what she thought of just the snow. Then it was time to feed her and pack her up for our next adventure! The drive there was white and slow, but absolutely beautiful. The whole ride to the farm, I was telling Emma stories about my childhood experiences with snow and all the fun things you can do with it.

Once at the farm, we enjoyed family time followed by delicious food again. My family is great about putting on a holiday with amazing food and this Christmas was no different! After stuffing ourselves, it was time for the presents. And what wonderful presents there were - Emma received so many things off her wish list that I'm going to have to go through and see if there's anything left to buy. Her bathroom is getting a facelift with fish everywhere! New towels, shower curtain, bath mat, and much more. She also got some wonderful books and puzzles that I know she'll love. With such an amazing family, what more could a little girl wish for? She smiled and had no complaints... Other than having to wear shoes and socks.

After we got home safely, it was time to unload the loot and get Emma ready for bed. But after she ate and I read her one of her new books, she was so sweet and snuggly that I couldn't put her down. She fell asleep in my arms as we sat in front of the fire and I held her for about 30 minutes before finally laying her down for the night. Can't wait to tell her about this Christmas in the years to come.

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment