Friday, September 6, 2013

September is Hydrocephalus Awareness Month!

Before I had Emma, September was just another month to me each year. It was the month before my birthday, but nothing really all that special. Now, as the leader for the Dallas Hydrocephalus Association (HA) Support Group, it is the month that I focus on creating awareness in my local community as well as raising funding for much needed research. HA is currently the largest non-profit group focused on raising awareness and funding for research to find a cure for hydrocephalus in the world. An example of what they have done with funding so far is come up with a new treatment protocol that reduced the infection rate in shunt related surgeries by thirty-five percent. 

This year, I am participating in the Second Annual Hydrocephalus Association WALK in Houston on September 21st as a virtual walker. I won't be able to make the trip down to Houston this year for the WALK, but I will be walking at the same time here in Dallas. I've set a goal of $957 for this year as that is how many days old Emma will be on the day of the WALK. Each year, we'll up our goal to how many days old she is that year. If you would like more information about this event, you can visit my event website here.


In an effort to inform others about hydrocephalus, here is some basic information:

  • Hydrocephalus is an abnormal accumulation of cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) within cavities of the brain called ventricles.
  • 1 to 2 out of 1000 children are born with hydrocephalus. This number does not include those that develop it from brain bleeds, stroke, tumors, meningitis, or injuries; nor does it include those with Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus (NPH).
  • There are over 1,000,000 Americans currently living with hydrocephalus.
  • There are over 40,000 hydrocephalus related surgeries in the United States costing over $1 billion dollars annually.
  • Fifty percent of shunts fail within the first two years requiring revision surgery.
  • There is NO way to prevent or cure hydrocephalus.
  • Over the last 50 years, there have been no significant improvements to the treatment options for hydrocephalus.
  • Currently, there are only two treatments for hydrocephalus - placement of a shunt or Endoscopic Third Ventriculostomy (ETV). Both are brain surgery.

In addition, Emma and I have been featured in a local newspaper to help educate those around us about hydrocephalus. I would like to thank the people at the Cross Timbers Gazette for taking the time to get to know both of us and helping us share our story to help raise awareness in our community. Here is a link to the article, but if you are in the area and get their paper, be sure to check out the front page!

HA also has a new post about how you can help. Please take a look and do as many as you can (some are as simple as learning more about the condition and changing your Facebook cover photo for a month). How will you make a difference this month?

2 comments:

  1. My 10mnth old has hydrocephalus (due to an Intercranial heammorhage when I was still pregnant with him. He is also blind but apart from being a little slow with his gross mobility, he is doing amazingly well :) he's always smiling and laughing and I love it at baby groups when people ask me if I ever wish I'd just had 'a normal baby' and as I look around the room at everyone else's grumpy, crying babies, and then back down at my gorgeous smiley Maximus, my answer is always the same: 'no, I'm glad I had Max thank you very much'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same way! Emma is such a happy little girl. When I see other two year olds who are "normal" that are going through the terrible two phase, I look at my beautiful little girl, see her smile, and am so grateful I have her. Give Max a hug from Emma and me!

      Delete