Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Back in the Saddle Again!

Today, Emma started hippotherapy again at SpiritHorse. I was excited to see how well she would do given how much stronger she has been getting over the last few months. When we ended last session, her record was around 80 steps before getting tired and laying down. I was hopeful that she would do at least that well despite the months between rides. But when we arrived, her instructor brought out a different horse. Emma would have a new horse to get used to and become friends with. Her new horse is named Pooh Bear and is a 23 year old retired show pony with a gentle, loving nature who is willing to do anything asked of him.


After introductions were made and Pooh Bear was saddled and ready to go, Emma got back in the saddle again... but this time, she was sitting up with a confidence that seemed much stronger than previous times. She grabbed on with both hands and we were off! I started counting steps in anticipation of crossing her previous record, but I had no idea how far I would be counting! Sixty... Seventy... Eighty... A NEW RECORD... One hundred... Two hundred... THREE hundred... FOUR HUNDRED! She finally took her first break after completing 428 steps!!! It was at that point that I realized that she had graduated from counting steps to keeping time. 

G--O

LET'S GO!!!

After a short break, Emma regrouped and we headed off again. Only this time, I was armed with a stop watch. I figured she was getting pretty tired, but she was able to make her second stint just as impressive at four minutes and three seconds! She has truly come a long way and I couldn't be more proud!!!

1 comment:

  1. NEW RECORD from this week - 7 minutes and 25 seconds!!!

    ReplyDelete