Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Hawaii

~*~*~*~ KONA ~*~*~*~


My favorite sunset picture I took on the entire trip.

Day one: Will there be snakes on the plane? (7/22)


The day started with my favorite Starbucks breakfast; followed by double, and then triple checking, the bags I packed to make sure I wouldn't forget anything... and yet despite my efforts, I ALWAYS forget something. It's fun to discover what I forget each time I travel, because sometimes it's insignificant and others it's detrimental. Luckily it was only my headphones this time - something that is easy to replace when you're going to an airport. I had a suitcase for me, a bigger one for Emma, my roller carry on with all my travel documents and electronics, Emma's diaper bag, and a purse. Add to that a stroller, her Childrite seat, and of course Emma. Having only two hands just seems humorous when looking at all of the things needed for our week-long family vacation. Traveling with children is work because you leave all of the accoutrements at home that make your life easier (like the crib, changing table, bath chair, etc.).

Luckily for me, I had a spare set of hands to help. My family paid to have a nanny for the trip to help me out with Emma, and also to help my sister and her husband with their daughter who is four months older than Emma. This nanny has helped me with Emma before, and loves her dearly, so her kind spirit was a welcome relief after seeing the massive amount of stuff we would be traveling with.

We arrived at the airport and went to the security line after checking our bags and getting our tickets - FIRST CLASS!!! This was the nanny's first flight, and my first time to travel with Emma, so it was a little rough. We had four bins, two bags, the chair, and stroller to put through the x-ray machine. Once we were done and at the terminal, I went to buy some headphones for myself and bottled water for feeding Emma on the plane. Next, we boarded the plane. My sister and her family were a couple rows in front, and my uncle was seated next to us (Emma shared my seat). The first flight was about eight hours long, and would prove to be a true testament of Emma's calm and happy personality.

While getting ready for take off, Emma had to do a full inspection of everything.

Once we were situated in our seat, Emma had some baby food. Then, she drank a bottle of formula during take-off to (hopefully) help pop her ears and equalize the pressure. The new noises of the plane were a little startling to her, but she was happy to continue drinking her bottle. Fast forward eight hours, three diaper changes in a tiny airplane bathroom, a two hour nap for Emma, and lots of talking - and we touched down in Honolulu. I must say that Emma did beautifully on the flight. I was so proud of her, and also relieved, as was my uncle sitting next to us for those eight hours.

Next, we were on to a short flight from O'ahu to our final destination on Hawai'i. After the second flight, we loaded up the rental car with all Emma's gear and made our way to the room where we were staying so she could eat and be put down for the night. It was a long day for such a little baby, but we followed the advice of her pediatrician so that she'd adjust to the five-hour time change as quickly as possible. I'm looking forward to letting her sleep on the flight back; it will be so much easier than keeping her entertained and awake for over thirteen hours of travel, six of which were after her normal bedtime. I'm so lucky she is always so sweet and happy!


Day two: Just keep swimming! (7/23)


I woke up around 6:30 AM local time and Emma was still asleep next to me. The little wiggle-bug woke me up a couple times during the night, but she did so well adjusting to the five-hour time difference that I was happy to wake up each time to see she was still sleeping. I got up and went out to see the view from my room for the first time, since it was pitch dark when we arrived. Absolutely beautiful! After taking a few pictures, I heard a happy, talking baby start to stir. After we both had breakfast, it was time to unpack and get cleaned up for the day. Once Emma had her cereal it was time to stock up on food. Emma's nanny, Emma, and I loaded up and went to the little grocery store. We only bought breakfast and lunch items for the week since I knew, for the most part, dinner would be spent as a family each night.

Once back, it was lunch time. My sister's husband woke up early and was not feeling well, so he was napping while the girls got together and I made macaroni and cheese. It was nice to get the cousins together and see them talk to each other. Emma will happily say her name any time you try to get her to say any word. Her cousin recently learned how to say "Emma" as well, so it was cute to hear them both saying it back and forth.

After lunch had settled, it was time to feel the sand between our toes! My sister and her family joined us at the beach and we got the girls wet. They both seemed to enjoy the water hitting their feet as they sat on the edge of the wet sand. We didn't stay long because Emma had yet to take a nap and she was about to crash (and did so in my arms while walking back to the car). Back to the room and a quick rinse-off for everyone to get the sand out of...all the usual places. After the bath, Emma wasn't tired so we played with the toys I brought for her. After snack time we relaxed on the patio; enjoying our front row seats to the view and sounds of the ocean.


My little beach baby playing with the waves.

Dinner time was at 6:00 PM at the pavilion next to my grandparent's room. My dad grilled steaks, potatoes, and asparagus. After the delicious meal, I snapped a couple quick pictures of the sunset before feeding Emma her dinner. She was so tired she fell asleep during her bottle of milk after the cereal. We wished everyone else a good night, came back to the room where I put Emma down to sleep, and then went to bed myself - she wasn't the only person that wanted to crash.

Day three: Ice cream Kona. (7/24)


Four AM came way too quickly for me, but not for Emma. She was happy to be awake and wanted to tell me all about it. After changing her diaper and removing her helmet to check her shunt, I grabbed her morning bottle and a box of cereal, and took them back to bed. We had breakfast in bed and snuggled as she told me stories about her Hawaiian adventures. After a long, slow morning, we got ready to go to Kona with the family. This meant more stroller time for Emma - something she is still adjusting to. She has never been a fan of riding in any stroller, especially if the ride gets bumpy. She would go into "mermaid" pose immediately when the captain would illuminate the "Fasten Seat Belt" sign. Her "mermaid" pose is when she crosses her legs and locks them stiff, straightens her arms out and locks them too, and tilts her head slightly as she strains - turning her face red. This is how she expresses she is uncomfortable or unhappy for any reason (wet diaper, hungry, hot, uncomfortable, etc.).

We left for Kona around 10:15 AM; right after Emma finished her cereal and milk. We were planning on eating lunch in town at the Kona Inn Restaurant in the local shops. Emma did very well in her stroller, but did get a little warm a couple of times, so I got her out and carried her. Seeing my uncle push her stroller was priceless, but I must admit I was grateful. After lunch with the family, it was almost time to head back to the room, but we had to make a quick stop to get a henna tattoo before leaving: Dumbo on the back of my left shoulder - I'm a huge Disney fan that loves elephants. In fact, Emma's room is blue and full of elephants of all colors and sizes.

Once back, there was a short nap followed by snack time. Then, it was time for Emma and her cousin to have their first play date without any stinking parents. My sister and I joined the rest of the adults in the family for dinner, while the girls stayed behind to play with Emma's nanny. After a long dinner, I was back with my baby girl - snuggled up in bed for the night.

After playing hard while the parents were away, the cousins were exhausted.

Day four: Spinner dolphins in calm waters. (7/25)


Emma enjoying her morning nap.
Watching the dolphins on the patio and talking about the ocean.

Today was a day to relax, listen to the ocean, watch the beauty around us, and just be a sponge. We enjoyed some French toast with my sister and her family, after which Emma and I watched spinner dolphins for almost an hour. We played and worked on her therapy a bit more intensely then we had the other days, as I had backed off a little since we had so much to adjust to with traveling. She worked really hard and made her mommy proud. The rest of the day was Emma and Mommy time that I needed.

Day five: Laughter is the BEST medicine! (7/26)


This morning, after her bottle, Emma had the bath we didn't do the night before. While I was rubbing lotion all over her, as I do after every bath, she did something she had never done before - she laughed! After my cheeks were as wet as she was, I went to grab my phone to record the beautiful sound that was filling me with tears of joy. I'm happy to say I have about a two-minute audio recording of her laughter that I've sent to many friends and family. It's been great to share this little accomplishment of hers that still doesn't seem so little to me (and probably never will).

Every time I see Emma accomplish something new, no matter what it is, it means so much to me. Admittedly, I'm a sappy person. I cry over those awful anti-animal-abuse commercials on a regular basis, but I'm rarely moved enough to have happy tears. Before Emma, I could count on one hand (with fingers to spare) how many times I've shed happy tears in my life. Since Emma, that number has grown exponentially. She inspires me to strive for more, and to not accept less from myself and others when it comes to caring for her. The pride I have in seeing her develop and continue to grow is just something I don't feel words can do justice. I'm sure every mother feels that way about their pride and joy; I just can't imagine my life before her being as satisfying as I thought it was. I thought I was happy and that the life I had was enough, but she has shown me a love that knows no bounds - one I will strive to attain with those that matter most in my life. She has opened my eyes and shown me I am a better person than I would otherwise give myself credit for. I am proud of who I am, and I want to inspire her to be the best person she can be, if only so that she can experience the pride I feel for her.

Day six: Waterfalls by helicopter. (7/27)


This morning, Emma woke me up with the sweet sound of her laughing. I reached over to snuggle with her in her little fort (I took all the decorative pillows and placed them under the sheets all around the edge of the bed, other than where I'd sleep, so she'd have plenty of wiggle room) only to find a wet baby and bed. She had tricked me... why does she have to be so stinking cute?

After she had her bath, I had a shower, and the bed had new linens, it was time to actually snuggle. Once it was time to play, I went to get her dressed for the day. My grandmother had bought Emma a dress specifically for this trip and I thought today would be a good day for it. I always tell everyone to be mindful picking clothes out for her - she needs elastic neck lines or ones that have buttons or snaps so that they can fit over her head. Well, this dress had a single button and extended a little wider when undone, but it still wasn't enough to accommodate her head. Tried to put it on from the bottom and it was too small for her chest. I felt bad cutting such a pretty dress, but I'd have to if she was going to wear it. I ended up cutting a one-inch slit where the button was, making that hole bigger, and was then able to get it over her head. I must say, it does look really cute.

Next, we enjoyed some sitting and playing with her toys on the patio (which is my sneaky way to do her therapy work with her) until it was cereal time. Now that she seemed to be adjusted to the time change, I added graham cracker crumbles back in to her cereal. We are still working on textures and chewing up more solid foods. She still isn't a fan, but she's doing so much better these days and she ate all of her cereal - even with the crumbs.

Then it was time to visit with some family (including the grandma that bought her the adorable dress - which worked out nicely). Once my belly told me it was lunch time, we came back to our room so I could eat and then feed Emma. After lunch, the cousins got to nap together with the nanny while the adults went on a helicopter tour of the waterfalls of Kona courtesy of my wonderful grandfather. It was absolutely breath taking. After we landed, my dad and stepmom bought the girls little teddy bear pilots as souvenirs. I love my family!

Day seven: Shopping with the girls. (7/28)


My sister, her daughter, the nanny, Emma, and I had an afternoon of shopping for souvenirs to bring home for friends and family. It was mostly just time with the girls to me. I love my sister and niece, and love seeing how my sister responds to her daughter. She has a softer side that few see so it's nice to see the comfort she gives her daughter and the level of patience she has with her every day.

However, it is still hard at times to see the differences between my niece and my daughter. For example, today at lunch my niece was in a high chair provided by the restaurant, and she ate chicken from the kid's menu off a normal fork; both without any trouble. She also enjoyed coloring her children's menu, sharing her crayons with her mom when asked for one by color, then putting her crayons back in the box when she was done. Emma, who is still working on sitting, was in my lap when it was time for her to eat and the nanny was feeding her a jar of stage three baby food. Emma was not in the best mood and was struggling with the basic skills that my niece had done without any focus on her food.

I can't help but wish I could do something more to ease some of Emma's challenges, but I know that I'm doing everything I possibly can to help her. I just have to be patient and be ready for her to make the steps on her own time, just like laughing; something I've been wanting for well over a year, and finally have the joy of hearing her express herself. I can't wait for her to make eye contact with me, extend her arms out for me to pick her up, and perhaps even say "mama up". I know we will get there, and every moment she learns something new will be special, but it's hard at times to keep my optimism in check.

Nap time after a day of fun with the girls in Kona.

Day eight: You can pick your boogers, but you can't pick your family. (7/29)


Waking up to Emma in the morning is always fun...


I'm happy to say, that despite all the unique idiosyncrasies my family has that make me want to pull my hair out at times, I wouldn't trade them for anything. My family really is a family. Through thick and thin, I know I can always count on them to be there if I ever needed anything. And even when I don't need it, they come through by giving me the opportunity to take some time with my daughter on a beautiful vacation to really enjoy being a mom. It's really easy to lose some of that focus during the every day grind of working five days a week. I could have just as easily been working this week and missed my daughter's first laugh. I still would have been proud and excited, but I also would have been upset to have missed it.

I must say I'm so grateful Emma and I had this chance to come to Hawaii. It has reminded me how much I enjoy exploring and seeing different places. I need to make it a priority to do a trip with Emma at least once a year - even if it's just a little getaway close to home. I love my memories of the experiences I've had traveling growing up, and I want her to have those same kinds of memories.

Emma and I spent most of the afternoon with my grandparents (who's 50th wedding anniversary was the reason the family went on the big vacation to celebrate) watching how they function as a couple. For both of them, this is their second marriage, and it gives me hope that I can do better the second time around. Time to go make more memories! Then it's back on a plane to begin our journey home.

Day nine: Snuggle time. (7/30)


At the end of the first flight getting ready to land, someone finally woke up.

The flight started 10 PM Hawaii time, and after a layover in LA, we arrived at home just after lunchtime. It sure didn't feel like lunchtime to me, as I was awake and busy being Emma's pillow on both plane rides while my little cupcake slept. I find myself doing everything in my power to get Emma to laugh because it is the sweetest sound I've heard in a long time. Thankfully, she happily obliges me most of the time and I always get chills. I love being Emma's mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment